Our Youth Officer, Reed James, has set up a working group to define our Youth Strategy. Here’s the newly unveiled strategy for 2022-2023.
LCER Youth – Strategy Document 2022-2023:
Labour Campaign for Electoral Reform’s (LCER) Youth Group was started on
15/08/2022 and has two key purposes.
- To amplify the voices of Young People in LCER’s internal structures and its campaigning.
- To engage more young people with the need for Proportional Representation(PR) and encourage them to get involved in LCER.
LCER’S Young Person’s working group aims to achieve these aims through several different measures.
To amplify the voices of Young People in LCER’s internal structures and its campaigning:
- To encourage more young people to join LCER to give them more of a voice in electing LCER’s next committee.
- To encourage young LCER members to nominate themselves for election to LCER’s executive committee to increase youth representation.
- To ensure LCER puts extra emphasis on encouraging more young members to stand for its executive committee.
- To make LCER’s executive more transparent through the release of the minutes of LCER executive meetings. So that any problems or recommendations young members or supporters have can be brought directly to the LCER’s executive committee through its youth officer.
To engage more young people with the need for Proportional Representation (PR) and encourage them to join LCER and get involved:
- Contacting University Labour clubs and Young Labour groups and asking them if they would like an LCER speaker who can make the youth case for electoral reform.
- Contacting as many newly elected Labour Students and Young Labour committee members as possible and asking them about their position on PR in order to compile a document to be publicly released on where each committee member stands on PR. An additional goal would be to encourage Young Labour and Labour Students to publicly support PR.
- To supplement LCER’s great work on twitter by encouraging them to post more youth-focused content made by LCER Youth’s membership.
- To extend LCER’s social media reach to platforms that are more used by young people by setting up an LCER Instagram/Tiktok.
- To host a youth-focused online panel events with a series of young engaging and unique speakers.